Friday, August 17, 2012

The Beginning

So I started my journey to Ireland bright and early at 4:25 am August 16th, got dressed and said the hard good byes to my family :( and headed to the Seattle Airport. I arrived at the airport, and waited in line to get my boarding pass, got to the machine to check my bag at 5:10... my flight was at 6:00, I was 10 minutes late to check my bag. I was directed over to the additional help services where I waited in line for over an hour and a half, finally when they helped me, I was given one option. Take the chance of being the first stand bye for a flight at 8:10 (currently was 7:10) or wait till tomorrow to fly out. So I booked it over to security, went through super duper fast. made it to the gate with 20 minutes till take off. I begged, prayed, and pleaded, and I was given the only empty seat, because two amazing people wanted to wait till later and receive a voucher!!! So I hopped on the plane, sat down and we took off! I was so happy, I would make my flight in Chicago and everything would work out. I spent most of the flight talking to a very nice man who was becoming a commercial pilot.

I then arrived in Chicago, and began my walk to the international terminal. I arrived at the check-in place for Aer Lingus with 20 mins to wait for them to open so I could get my boarding pass. While in line I met a very nice Canadian couple heading to Ireland too! :) I was so happy that I had someone to talk to, they became my travel buddies :) We got our passes and walked to our gate, going through security again and began the 2 hour wait till boarding. While I was waiting, my stomach decided to remind me, no food had been put in my stomach since dinner the night before! So I explored and found a snack, Chicken Caesar wrap, chocolate chip cookie, and mountain dew :) As I wait to board I sent some last texts, messaged my Sister Melissa, and started to truly realize I was leaving... I boarded, and at first was discouraged, I had the inside seat... but soon came to find out I had a young very nice Irish girl next to me that was very friendly! But not only was she nice the other inside seat was empty! Not only did I have good company but some more room.

Then I was off! a 7 hour and 15 minute flight, consisting of stir fry pork and rice, Fanta soda pop, and The "Wrath of the Titans" movie. I even got a good 3 hours of airplane sleep, ( very very different from normal sleep, only slightly better than no sleep, not even as good as couch sleep). I woke up with it bright in the plane, and a breakfast sandwich with, orange juice sitting in front of me :) a very pleasant way to wake up. :) Not more than 45 minutes later, the plane was on the ground, I proceeded through customs, the Officer was very laid back and friendly, I like Irish people thus far haha! Found my bags, unharmed, and followed the English and Gaelic signs to the bus, and got on. Now I am riding this bus to a town called Derry, northern Ireland. This bus is equipped with Internet which is very nice :) Currently I am very thirsty, I did not stop and buy a drink before getting on the bus, and missing my family, but also very excited to finally meet all the rest of the amazing people I will spend time with over the next 10 months :) God is good, all the time, all the time God is good :)
God bless, keep me in your prayers, and I will do the same for you all :).
I will do my best to give an update everyweek!

Your friend, and brother in Christ,
Benjamin Record

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your trip may have gotten off to a rough start, but turned out as well as could have been expected! I'm so glad you are planning on this blog, it will be great to see what you are up to this year. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete