Friday, August 31, 2012

Training thus far


Well hello my family and friends!!!
                I know it has been a long time since my last post, but believe it or not I have been rather busy. So I arrived on a Thursday to Ireland and on Saturday we started NET Training, each day was at the least 14 hours of talks, praise and worship, prayer, and all around learning of what it means to be a Catholic and especially a missionary. This lasted all the way till the following Friday, when I had my first access to internet since I had arrived. I was tired and beginning to get a cold, but it was so nice to contact home. We are staying at a Carmelite Fathers Monastery, which is about 5 min from the town of Derry. I have a roommate named Josh he is a second year, I really enjoy him he is from Arizona. There is 11 guy NETTERs and like 16 girl NETTERs (not positive on that number).
                So that Friday when I got internet, we had to go into Derry to a coffee shop to get wifi, we were given the afternoon off to do as we pleased. I was so happy just to get time to do as we pleased, every day of training that far was soo packed with information and just full I was looking forward to a time to turn off my brain. I spent about 30 min on the computer I tried calling home but they wouldn’t answer. After I finished a few other guys wanted to find a tobacconist for pipe tobacco, so I went with them.
                Yes for anyone who is curious I do smoke a pipe on some occasions, about once or twice a month. I brought my pipe but no tobacco so I was going to buy some too. We had directions to this tobacconist, Derry is a decent sized town there has to be one and google maps said there was, we began to follow these directions not really positive if it even existed. After a 20 min walk to the residential area of Derry we came to the end of our directions, there was no tobacconist…. Sad day. So we headed back to the grocery store to buy snacks instead haha. I had my first Mountain Dew in Ireland (no good) and then we headed back to our monastery.
                That night we had dinner with some Italians that were doing a week of ministry to schools, had a blast sang songs, they taught us one called, “YEAH, YEAH”, it was so much fun, but is still stuck in our heads. That night we began Men’s and Women’s weekends, so from Friday evening till Monday we didn’t see each other. The guys went to this beautiful garden, that was dedicated to the Irish Catholic Saints; there was a structure of some sort for each major saint. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, such time and work was put into the place.  The men’s weekend was very good, we experienced a journey to being Christian men, and a form of initiation to manhood, fun would not be the word to describe the weekend, but we all left Sunday evening men, brothers, and stronger in our faith because of it. I can’t really go into detail and give the experience justice, ask me about it in person sometime.
                So Monday morning we had mass to start the coming together off, and then men and women were rejoined. The day was very chill also, they felt that after the weekends we deserved some time to relax and prepare for the talent show that night. I taught a Canadian girl named Katherine to swing dance, even a few aerials! Also went into town and called home for the first time, I woke up my parents at 5:30 am, but it was so nice to hear their voices and get to share how I was doing. I had a great day that day, simple as that. Talent show was spectacular, and we went to bed with smiles on our faces. Tuesday we experienced our “NET encounter day” which is a day retreat (all NET Ireland really does, youth ministry is like 15-20 years behind). The staff put on the retreat for us NETTERs and it was a lot of fun and for me was my first experience with a NET styled retreat (funny cause in a month I will be putting them on). The retreat lasted till about 3:30 when we had some time free till 5:15 when mass was supposed to be. When we walk into the chapel and sit down preparing our minds for mass, the priest comes up and gives a bit of an intro.
                He begins by saying he is going to give us a bit of his talk he was supposed to give last week on the Catholic Church in Ireland. He goes on to explain about how the Irish monks put a stop to public confession and started private confession in the 5th and 6th centuries. Then goes on to say that our Director Tony Foy wants to give us a public confession to show us how beautiful it is and that it can bring us all closer. We all start to get worried and confused, Tony stands up and says… “I have been lying to you all this whole time….We are not having mass…..We are…..going to…. ANNOUNCE TEAMS!!!” We all burst in to laughter and run to grab our cameras, all still in shock that we would be told this early normally it is like 2 weeks into training.
                I am on a parish team, with three girls (or three sisters), one other guy (or one brother), in a small Irish town called Delvin about one hour from Dublin, look it up I know very little about it this far. My sisters are named Amy Deibert (Team leader), Marie Isinger, and Rebecca Marchildon, my brother is Tim Silver (Team leader). I am very excited to see what this next year brings, we will have a weekly youth group and the rest I will find out soon. Keep my team in your prayers and I just can’t wait to get out there and start sharing God’s Word!

2 comments:

  1. TEAMS?!?!?! Sweet! I'm glad you got on a parish team, I think you'll really enjoy it. (I think you would really enjoy a traveling team as well ;) Can't wait to see some pictures (hint hint...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you Ben -- we will keep you and your brothers and sisters in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete